Thursday, September 4, 2014

About me...

My name is Jaclyn Steele and I am from Orchard Park NY, which is a small town right outside of Buffalo.  I was born in Lexington, Kentucky and have moved multiple times through out my life;  Although the majority of my life I have lived in New York.  Since I was born I have been a huge animal lover, and animals have always been apart of my life.  My favorite animal is a horse, which I believe is what started me with my favorite sport and hobby to compete in.  I am an avid equestrian and have been riding since I was the age of 6, and do not plan on stopping anytime soon!  The great thing about my sport is that I can always continue to improve, and not have age be a factor that will put a deadline on my career.  Many of the top equestrians in the world are older than your average athlete, and I inspire to be just like them. 
I am most comfortable during a course when I have my own personal opinions on the topic, and am able to give my opinion without having to research the topic a lot, and have personal experiences with the material.
 I believe the most important technological invention is the cellphone.  The cellphone gave the task of communication with others from anywhere in the world as easy as dialing a couple numbers.  The cellphone was able to put communication with loved one from anywhere in the world easy, quick and affordable for the average user.  The old style of  letter writing was nothing short of an amazing invention, but now the communication needed is able to happen within a few minutes, compared to waiting for letters in the mail that could take many days depending on the destination. 
There are many social justice issues around the world, and the issues are on many different levels, and circumstances depending on which country is being discussed.  These issues tend to deal with the distributions of wealth, opportunities and privileges within a country or society.  The most important social justice issues in my opinion is child welfare.  All children should be given a chance in this world and be able to have the same opportunities as any child would coming from a good family.  Another important social justice issue in our world today is poverty and economic injustice.  The gap between the rich and poor has been made more apparent throughout the years instead of having the gap become more irrelevant in society.    
Questions for Dr,Shutkin:  what are five fun facts about you? what does social injustice mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment